Huawei Mate Xs Key Specs and Features
- 8.0 inches OLED Display, 2200 x 2480 pixels, 414 ppi (Unfolded)
- 6.6-inches OLED Display, 1148 x 2480 pixels, (Folded)
- Android 10.0; EMUI 10
- Octa-core HiSilicon Kirin 990 5G Processor
- 8GB RAM
- 512GB Built-in Storage, with Micro-SD Support up to 256GB
- 40MP + 8MP + 16MP + TOF Quad Rear Camera
- Fingerprint Sensor (Side-Mounted)
- 4500mAh Non-removable Li-Po Battery
Design and Display
The chassis design of the Huawei Mate Xs and its predecessor pretty much look the same. There is no casually telling which is which. There isn’t any branding or color option that differentiates both smartphones. However, meticulous observation of its display reveals an upgrade.
It turns out the best and worst thing about foldable smartphones is their display. Best it the sense that it folds and worst due to the fact that it makes them fragile. Having a foldable smartphone means you have to pay extra attention to fragility.
Although the fact isn’t totally different for the likes of the Samsung Galaxy Fold, users of the Huawei Mate Xs need to take extra caution due to the fact that it’s surrounded by screens.
In order to improve the durability of it’s plastic OLED display, Huawei added an extra layer of polymer. Huawei also featured a screen protector, which they advise users not to remove.
That’s about what you get as a build upgrade. The other stuff is pretty much the same. You have got the same foldable mechanism that requires you to fold out to get tablet mode.
The display sizes are also the same. Its an 8-inch OLED display when unfolded and a 6.6-inch OLED display when folded.
Making a comparison with the first-gen Huawei Mate X, there isn’t much to say, as the Huawei Mate Xs actually features the same camera hardware. It’s the same triple camera setup which can also be used as a selfie camera.
The triple camera setup comprises of a 40MP primary camera with an aperture of f/1.8, an 8MP telephoto camera with an aperture of f/2.5 and a 16MP ultrawide camera with an aperture of f/2.2.
Aside from the cameras discussed above, there is also a special time of flight camera, which helps in getting in-depth information.
Hardware and Software
The Huawei Mate Xs shares a lot in common with its predecessor, you have got the same 512GB internal storage, support for micro-SD up to 256GB, 8GB and the same 4500mAh battery.
However, the main driver of the hardware department was improved. This foldable tablet comes packed with the Hi-Silicon Kirin 990 5G, which is the same processor on the Huawei Mate 30 Pro.
The Huawei Mate Xs runs the EMUI 10 interface on top of an AOSP Android build. Please note that you won’t be getting Google Mobile services, due to pending sanctions.
The Huawei Mate Xs feature a USB Type-C port, dual-band Wifi Bluetooth 5.0 connectivity, NFC and lots more.
Internet connectivity on the Huawei Mate Xs is capped at 5G. It doesn’t mmWave support. It Only supports Sub-6GHZ.
Huawei Mate Xs Price and Availability
The price of the Huawei Mate Xs is around $2,704 which is around 992,368 Naira, 287,570 Kenyan shillings, and 15,590 Ghana Cedi.
The Huawei Mate Xs was announced on Febuary24 2020 and is currently available for purchase
Huawei Mate Xs Specs
Here are a few specs of the Huawei Mate Xs:
- Platform: Android 10.0; EMUI 10
- Processor: Octa-core (2×2.86 GHz Cortex-A76 & 2×2.36 GHz Cortex-A76 & 4×1.95 GHz Cortex-A55) HiSilicon Kirin 990 5G
- GPU: Mali G76 MP16
- Memory: 8GB RAM
- Colours: Interstellar Blue
- Dimension: Unfolded: 161.3 x 146.2 x 5.4 mm; Folded: 161.3 x 78.5 x 11 mm
- Weight: 300 g
- SIM Type: Nano SIM
- SIM Count: Hybrid Dual SIM
- Display: 8.0 inches OLED Display, 2200 x 2480 pixels, 414 ppi (Unfolded), 6.6-inches OLED Display, 1148 x 2480 pixels, (Folded)
- Screen Protection: –
- Foldable Display: Yes
- Rear Camera: 40MP (wide) f/1.8 + 8MP (Telephoto) f/2.4 + 16MP (Ultrawide) f/2.2 camera +TOF Sensor
- Rear Camera Features: Leica optics, dual-LED dual-tone flash, panorama, HDR, 2160p@30fps, 1080p@30fps
- Front Camera: Same Camera as Rear Camera
- Built-in Storage: 512GB
- Memory Card Support: Yes, up to 256GB
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: Yes
- 2G CDMA 1X: –
- 3G WCDMA: Yes
- 3G CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: Yes, LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 6(900), 7(2600), 8(900), 9(1800), 12(700), 17(700), 18(800), 19(800), 20(800), 26(850), 28(700), 32(1500), 34(2000), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500)
- 5G: Yes, 1(2100), 3(1800), 28(700), 38(2600), 41(2500), 77(3700), 78(3500), 79(4700); SA/NSA
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: –
- CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: Yes
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Yes, Bluetooth 5.0 with A2DP LE
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: Yes
- USB Port: USB 3.1, USB Type-C 1.0 reversible connector
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: Yes
- Email Protocol: –
- Navigation: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: –
- Barometer: Yes
- SpO2: –
- Pedometer: –
- Heart Rate Monitor: –
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes (side-mounted)
- Iris Scanner: –
- Face Unlock: Yes
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: Yes
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: Yes
- Wireless Charging: –
- Built-in Mobile Payment: –
- Water Resistant: –
- Dust Resistant: –
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: Yes
- Document Viewer: Yes
- Document Editor: Yes
- Battery: 4,500 mAh Non-Removable Li-Po Battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: Yes, 55W Huawei SuperCharge