Samsung recently released the Galaxy S21 series and we all expect the Galaxy S21 Ultra to be the “emperor”. However, the Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra is not entirely the best in all aspects. Although the Galaxy S21 Ultra significantly upgrades the camera, there is an aspect where the lower Galaxy S21 and S21+ are ahead. A recent report shows that in terms of slow-motion video recording, the Galaxy S21 Ultra seems to be inferior to the cheaper Galaxy S21 and Galaxy S21+. This is because it cannot record 960fps video natively.
Although all three Galaxy S21 series smartphones can record slow-motion video at 960fps, the Galaxy S21 and Galaxy S21+ can record natively, while the Galaxy S21 Ultra “digitally enhances” 480fps video to 960fps slow-motion video. That is, repeated frames are used. Therefore, 960fps slow-motion video recorded with Galaxy S21 Ultra will not be as good as the video recorded with Galaxy S21 and Galaxy S21+.
Samsung has clarified that the shortcomings of the Galaxy S21 Ultra are due to the larger ISOCELL HM3 108MP camera sensor, which has a slower shutter speed than the 12-megapixel sensor used in the Galaxy S21 and Galaxy S21+. Samsung took the same route last year on the Galaxy S20 Ultra, enhancing 480fps video to 960fps.
It is not clear whether many people will use the super slow-motion video recording function on their smartphones. However, if you use the function frequently, you should understand these differences. This is a detail that you need to know when making your decision to buy any of these devices.
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G specifications
- 6.8-inch (3200 x 1440 pixels) Quad HD+ Infinity-O-Edge Dynamic AMOLED Display, 515 PPI, Adaptive 120Hz refresh rate (10~120Hz), up to 1500 nits brightness, Gorilla Glass Victus protection
- Octa-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 5nm Mobile Platform / Octa-Core Samsung Exynos 2100 processor
- 12GB / 16GB LPDDR5 RAM with 128GB/256GB/512GB storage
- Android 11 with One UI 3.1
- 108MP rear camera with ISOCELL HM3 sensor, LED Flash, OIS, f/1.8 aperture, 12MP 120° Ultra Wide sensor with f/2.2 aperture, 10MP Telephoto lens for 3x zoom, OIS, 10MP Periscope lens for 10x zoom, 100x Space Zoom, Laser autofocus sensor, 4K 60 fps, 8K 30fps
- 40MP front camera with f/2.2 aperture
- Water-resistant (IP68)
- Dimensions: 165.1 x 75.6 x 8.9 mm; Weight: 228g
- 5G SA/NSA, 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 6E, Bluetooth 5.1, UWB, GPS + GLONASS, USB 3.1, NFC, MST
- 5000mAh battery with 25W fast charging, 15W Qi wireless charging