The U.S. market is an “Apple” market and it is clearly in Apple’s pocket. Even Samsung finds it difficult to pose any real challenge to Apple in the U.S. According to a new report from Flurry Analytics shows that nine of the top ten smartphones activated on Christmas Day in the U.S. in 2020 are iPhones. Christmas is the day with the largest number of new smartphone activations in the United States. Thus, it is a unique opportunity to analyze consumer preferences.
For this year, the iPhone 11 has the highest activation rate on Christmas Day. This is the second consecutive year that the iPhone 11 is occupying the top spot. In the second position is the iPhone XR while the iPhone 12 Pro Max is in the third position. The iPhone 12 Pro Max continues to maintain its “strong and lasting demand”.
Some of these smartphones, such as the iPhone XR, are not more popular than the average tail of the device. This means that it is not necessarily a popular Christmas gift, but just a popular smartphone.
The only non-Apple device that entered the top ten is LG’s low-cost K30 smartphone. The iPhone SE and LG K30 had surges of 34% and 181%, respectively. Flurry believes that the success of iPhone 11 and iPhone XR models in previous years shows that American consumers are more price-sensitive this holiday season.
Apple iPhone 11 specifications
- 6.1-inch (1792×828 pixels) LCD 326ppi Liquid Retina display
- Six-core A13 Bionic 64-bit processor, 8-core Neural Engine
- 64GB, 128GB,256GB storage options
- iOS 13
- Water and dust resistant (IP68)
- Dual SIM (nano + eSIM)
- 12MP wide-angle (f/1.8) camera,optical image stabilization, True Tone flash, 4K video recording at 60 fps, Slo‑mo 1080p at 240 fps, 12MP 120° Ultra Wide (f/2.4) secondary camera, 2x optical zoom out; digital zoom up to 5x
- 12MP front camera with f/2.2 aperture, 1080p video recording,Retina Flash, 4K video recording at 60 fps, Slo‑mo 1080p at 120 fps
- TrueDepth camera for FaceID facial recognition, Stereo speakers
- Dimensions: 150.9×75.7×8.3; Weight: 194 grams
- Gigabit-class LTE up to 1.6Gbps, 802.11ax Wi‑Fi 6 with 2×2 MIMO, Bluetooth 5.0, NFC with reader mode, GPS with GLONASS
- Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery with Qi wireless charging, fast charging, up to 17 hours of video playback
Looking at the top 10 list, there is no iPhone 12 mini. This phone does not seem to attract the attention of consumers like other devices. This is probably because it is not much cheaper than the large-size iPhone 12. This year, the number of smartphone activations dropped by 23% year-on-year. Flurry speculates that this may be due to financial difficulties this year, more limited family gatherings, or more scattered gifts.